Creating a process without listing in ps -aux

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Tue May 14 13:10:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 09:14 +0200, Patrick Asselman wrote:

> But whatever you come up with, there is never a guarantee that your
> process will not be found, because there are many other means of
> discovering processes ("top" or checking the /proc listing, to name but
> a few).

On Linux I believe all the process management tools use the information
in the /proc filesystem to show process information.  You can think of
ps, top, etc as just convenient front-ends to /proc.  The "proc"
filesystem is itself just a view into the kernel process table and other
kernel tables. Given this, you would have to hack the kernel code to
create an "invisible" process.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect