admin/sudo confusion

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Mon May 13 05:56:11 UTC 2013

Hello Sarunas,

Saturday, May 11, 2013, 3:30:12 PM, Sarunas wrote:

> On 05/11/2013 02:34 PM, rikona wrote:
>> Just installed 12.04 on a newly built box. Mostly working fine. Has 2
>> users. The first/setup user is an admin, the second, user B, was set
>> up as not an admin. LOTS if files for B were copied from the old 10.04
>> box, and B will be the main user. But, in the meantime, it would be
>> nice if B could use sudo to help with the setup of the box. So, I
>> installed users and groups, and set B to be in the sudo group [it is
>> listed that way too] - doesn't work though. Then set B to be an
>> administrator [temporarily], and B is listed as an admin - sudo still
>> NG.
>>
>> To add to the confusion, 'user accounts' lists B as 'standard' even
>> though 'users and groups' has B as an admin. What's going on?
>>
>> How can I get B to have sudo and/or be a temporary admin?

> I would suggest comparing group memberships in the output of

> id userA

> and

> id userB

> commands. And also looking at /etc/sudoers. If needed, it can be edited
> with `visudo`.

> Of course, after group membership has been changed, the user has to log
> out and login again, for the change to take effect.

Aha! That is what was missing. I was so busy moving, setting and
tweaking things that I didn't log out - just switched between users,
which doesn't seem to do the same thing. An actual logout was done
after a small hardware change [no power] and then the settings 'took'
and worked. Sometimes it's the little things that cause problems. :-))

Thanks much for the help!

--

 rikona