Removing pulseaudio

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Fri May 10 13:00:01 UTC 2013

R Kimber wrote:
> I'd like to remove pulseaudio, but it depends on ubuntu-destop, the removal
> of which is not recommended since it depends on all of the packages in the
> Ubuntu desktop system.

Is your intention to replace Pulse with anything else?

> What's the best way to do this?

The ubuntu-desktop package simply depends on everything deemed
necessary for a Ubuntu desktop; it doesn't contain anything itself.

The normal way to do this is to remove the ubuntu-desktop package and
then mark everything it depends on as manually installed (to prevent
it coming up in autoremove).

You may need to repeat this process at upgrade time, though.

--
Avi