thunderbird - reply window

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu May 9 12:39:56 UTC 2013

On 08/05/13 19:43, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> On 07/05/13 21:13, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> On 05/07/2013 01:14 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:
>>> I have Thunderbird on 2 machines. On one of them the message reply
>>> window has the text in blue and the lines of that message are marked
>>> with a > or >> and so on. On the other machine the text is black and
>>> lines of the message being replied to are marked by a coloured vertical
>>> line. The first machine mentioned used to be like the second one until
>>> something happened to change it.
>>>
>>> Is there anything I can do to recover the reply window message
>>> marker to
>>> the vertical line and the text in black, please?
>>>
>>> Norman
>>>

>> Not trying to be sarcastic, but are you sure you are looking at the
>> reply window on both machines?
>>
>> If I look at my reply window I see exactly what you describe for the
>> first machine, but if I am simply viewing a message that has multiple
>> replies I see what you are describing for your second machine.
>>
>> Regards,  Jim
>>
> A good question, Jim, so I had another look at messages with multiple
> replies and on both machines the text is marked by vertical lines, as
> expected.
>
> Norman

What you saw with text preceded with > and >>, and text preceded with a
blue line marking the quoted text is pretty normal so don't be alarmed
when you see this.

Text which is preceded with > is produced by some mail clients - why or
how they do this I don't know but they do .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.3 & kernel 3.9.0-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor