writing data to disk message... when safely remove USB drive

pete smout psmouty at live.com
Mon May 6 09:52:42 UTC 2013

On 05/05/13 13:17, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 05/05/13 20:10, Jkhatri wrote:

>> Thanks for your quick reply, colin
>>
>> but same drive works fine with M$ windows, on same PC ( dual boot ).
>> it copies same file quickly, and I'm able to eject it as soon as copy
>> process completed. But it takes long time in Ubuntu it takes dual
>> time, like  copy time + safely remove message progress bar time
>>
>> both windows and Ubuntu are 64bit version and installed on same laptop
>> ( dual boot )
>>
>> Thanks
>
> You get fast copying in M$ because the stick is formatted in msdos.
>
> Writing from Linux to a msdos formatted drive, such as your USB stick,
> takes "for ever". There is a very complicated explanation for this but
> believe me it is true (something to do with the kernel).

<Snip>

Hi,

I know nothing of the complicated kernel reasons, but I can back this up
through personal experience!
I have an external HDD formatted to 'EXT4' for backing up important
files from my '*buntu' box and a 16gb flash stick for moving files
around to other systems which is formatted to 'VFAT'.

Copying the same file (my CV) to the stick takes a whole 10 sec longer
than to my ext HDD, this is only a text file so I would imagine that
larger files (videos etc) would see this difference increase!

I am not surprised by this as UNIX file systems carry more info
(permissions, groups, owners etc.) than is available on VFAT, and I'm
guessing here that some complicated algorithms are needed to process
this additional info.

Please feel free to correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong!

Regards

Pete