Help with UEFI + RAID0 install

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun May 5 17:19:43 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM, C.F.Scheidecker Antunes
<cf.antunes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an HP Envy DV7-7243Cl notebook which I have 2 1TB disks on it and
> 16GB of memory.
>
> The secure boot is disabled, I have an UEFI system to it. The 2 hard drives
> are set to RAID0 stripping and I've got ride of Windows.
>
> If I create a new partition table with GParted, (I have tried both GPT and
> MSDOS).
>
> I then create, with GPARTED 2 partitions.
>
> One, at the begining, is a FAT32 partition with /boot/efi and flag boot. It
> is sized for 200mb.
>
> The second, right after, is unformated 5mb with bios_grub flag (when I did
> the GPT partition).

You don't need a this partition when you're booting via UEFI.

> Then, I do the install and add 32768mb for SWAP and the rest as EXT4 /.
>
> I' ve place the GRUB boot loader on VOLUME0 which is the stripped volume
> which is what I did when it worked the first time.
>
> Well, now nothing works.
>
> Hence, my questions are:
>
> - Using an UEFI stripped RAID 0 system. What is the partition table to use?
> GPT or MSDOS?

You have to use a gpt label for disks larger than 2 TiB (~= 2.19 TB)
if you're using BIOS (or whatever BIOS is called when you're using
UEFI).

But you have to use a gpt label when you're using UEFI.

> - How do you correctly create the 2 partiions, the one for EFI and the
> second for the bios_grub flag if you do GPT?

You don't need the second one. And the first is simply a FAT partition.

> - Where shall I mount GRUB? I did volume0 and then even tried the EFI
> partiion without success.

What does "mount grub" mean?