Path command

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Sat May 4 01:30:48 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 10:27 PM, dave perry wrote:

> On 05/03/2013 01:47 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> [sudo] password for stephen:
>> root at Desk:~# samba
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "max log size"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "max log size"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "syslog"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "syslog"
>>     <snip>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> You should not try and start samba this way.
> Depending on how you installed samba, it is likely that the samba
> damon, smbd, is already running.
> After you have made the appropriate edits to the
>     /etc/samba/smb.conf
> file, you need to restart samba from the command line with
>     sudo restart smbd
> to have the edited smb.conf file processed.
>
> Which samba version did you install?  The default version for 12.10
> installed by Ubuntu Software Center is 3.6.6.  If you have both
> version 3 and 4 installed, you need to remove version 4.
>
> You can find a lot of samba help using google.  Here is a link that
> is fairly simple to follow.
> http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=3967
> It also covers setting up smbusers and passwords as well as walks
> you through setting up a samba share.
>
> Another great help for a new samba user is "Samba 3 by Example".
> You should be able to find it via google and down load it as a pdf file.

ubuntu.com has a very straightforward, simple walkthrough on how to set
up Samba. You basically have to edit one file '/etc/samba/smb.conf' with
the relevant details of which directories, printers & so on that you
want to share then restart Samba via either '/etc/init.d' or 'service '
(I can't remember which) & you're good to go.

Either search for 'samba + ubuntu' on Google or got to ubuntu.com &
search for samba there.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &