Path command

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri May 3 20:16:08 UTC 2013

On Friday 03 May 2013 15:59:56 Avi Greenbury did opine:

> Stephen wrote:
> > according to all the commands I have tried the path is good. Here is
> > the read out when I try to start samba
> >
> > [sudo] password for stephen:
> > root at Desk:~# samba
>
> If you're running a command that's simply 'samba', you're probably not
> following a very ubuntu-y means of installing it.
>
> How to remove what you've already installed is quite dependent on what
> you've already installed and how you did it - it's probable that the
> normal means of uninstalling software (apt-get) wont work.
>
> Could you let us have a link to the guide you've been following?

Whatever guide it is that he is following Avi, its old enough to sit in a
normal chair at the dinner table as its been several years now that 'samba'
has been renamed cifs, for Common Internet File System.

From the looms of my 10.04-4 LTS /usr/sbin, there is not a samba executable
in the form of smb or nmb, but there is a cifs.upcall which is a relatively
large binary.

However, if that is present (I don't fool with it myself, too many winderz
limitations come with it, but he should have, in /etc/init.d, a startup
script, and he may have to do some local configuration before it will
actually run.

Here, I don't use it, so neither my /etc/init.d, or /etc/default has
startup scripts for it.  I do however, have an /etc/samba/smb.conf
approaching a year since its been 'touched', probably by the update-
manager.

Here I use NFS for the samba like file moving.  And cups does its own
printer sharing, so samba would be a 19th wheel on this truck. :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
		-- Charlie McCarthy
         law-abiding citizens.