Raring updates

Walter Garcia-Fontes walter.garcia at upf.edu
Fri May 3 06:22:20 UTC 2013

* Ric Moore, wayward4now at gmail.com [03/05/13 07:20]:
> On 05/02/2013 04:26 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> >On 2 May 2013 09:23, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Hi, all.
> >>
> >>I'm seeing some odd behaviour on a 13.04 box.
> >>
> >>For the last six days not a single update has come down the pipe from
> >>Ubuntu. I've changed the update servers from the UK to the main servers
> >>but nada.
> >>
> >FWIW I'm not getting any, either. And it needs some - LibreOffice
> >menus, Skype doesn't run, etc.

After investigating this issue since it also happened for me one of
the systems I upgraded to 13.04, I found out that it is related to one
particular file losing its execution permission or flag. This is
reported repeatedly in a quite old bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-notifier/+bug/390319

For me it was fixed by opening a terminal an issuing the following
commands:

sudo chmod 755 /etc/cron.daily/apt
sudo rm /var/spool/anacron/cron.daily

then reboot the system.

The first command reestablishes that that file is executable, which
for some strange reason ceases to be after the upgrade in some
systems. The second one removes the file that anacron uses to run the
daily checking for updates, but it is automatically regenerated after
a reboot.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat