boot menu

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 31 06:23:36 UTC 2013

On 31/03/13 16:06, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 08:02:25PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:
>>> Running Ubuntu 12.04 among other distros. I had kernels all the way back
>>> to 3.2.0-23 in /boot. Ran "apt-get remove --purge" on all but the
>>> current and the previous two kernels. I watched grub.cfg being created
>>> and it showed the three correct kernels and the other distros. When I
>>> rebooted the menu showed all the kernels I had just removed. Update-grub
>>> showed the correct number of kernels.
>> Another distro must be controlling grub.
> Possibly but if so how come grub.conf was (supposedly) created that
> showed the correct info?

Sorry, but this is a "no brainer".

The grub.cfg (and not grub/conf which you state) was created by the
version of the oS you *just* installed.

But the grub.cfg of the oS which is *in* *control* of the boot menu from
which you select which oS you want booted has *NOT* been changed to take
into account the changes you made to the list of kernels.

I don't know which oS has the control but what you need to do is to go
into *that* oS and run (assuming that it is a Linux distro and using grub2)-

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grib.cfg

which will then pickup the info in *this*, the controlling oS, and also
then pickup the info in the altered grub.cfg in 12.04 (which now doesn't
have all the redundant kernels listed).

If you have questions about this then ask before doing anything as
suggested above, OK? :-)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.5-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor