Changing grub default boot order

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 31 04:25:38 UTC 2013

On 31/03/13 00:38, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 03/29/2013 10:51 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 29/03/13 02:47, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>> I upgraded from 10.04 to 12.04 by installing 12.04 on a different hard
>>> drive and dual booting.  Now I would like to make 12.04 (sdb) the
>>> default.  This link [1] suggests using grub-customizer [2]. Does
>>> anyone have any experience with this app?
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/100232/how-do-i-change-the-grub-boot-order
>>>

>>> [2]
>>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43471/how-to-configure-the-linux-grub2-boot-menu-the-easy-way/
>>>

>>> Thanks,  Jim
>>>

>> I have read all the replies you received to your question. However, as
>> you correctly point out when the next time you have an ugrade to the
>> kernel or whatever you will strike hassles. So let's get this sorted out
>> now instead of later. How about you provide us with:
>
> Basil,
>
> I think it is solved now by changing GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to
> GRUB_DEFAULT=14.  I think this should survive updates as 10.04 is at
> the top of the menu and there will be no more updates to it. Thus sdb1
> (12.04) will always be a position 14. To be complete I will provide
> the info you requested.

Hi Jim,

I will leave responding to the rest of your message until after you give
us the answer to this questions, and the reason why I am asking this is
because that figure of 14 you set for the GRUB_DEFAULT is just plain
wrong - or at least it is just plain zanny :-) . I expect this figure to
be no more than 2.

So, could you please output to (a) file(s) and then upload the results
to something like picpaste (and give us the URL(s)). The outputs will be
a bit big which is why I am suggesting posting them on picpaste
[http://picpaste.com/ ].

The first thing to determine is whether you have really used grub
(legacy) or grub2 for 10.04 (12.04 would definitely have grub2). To find
out which is being used in 10.04 go to /boot and see if it has /grub
and/or /grub2. If there is /boot/grub2 then it is most likely that you
are using grub2 - in which case please output the contents of the file
grub.cfg ( /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ) and upload it to picpaste, please.

If you could then do same for the 12.04 installation and put up the
result on picpaste.

While you are in this /boot directory, have a look at how many versions
of System.map, initrd, and vmlinuz files you have there. Each set of
those corresponds to a version of a kernel which was was used in that OS
(10.04) - and this is where I suspect that number 14 comes from. But
let's confirm my hypothesis :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.5-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor