Changing grub default boot order

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 19:07:42 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:

> I also found some info on the web about changing GRUB_DEFAULT=. I tried
> changing it to GRUB_DEFAULT=14. (sdb1 is on line 15) and I tried changing it
> to "Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-39 generic (on /dev/sdb1)". Both of these were
> suggestions I found on line but neither worked.

Using "GRUB_DEFAULT=" with the Advanced menu "feature" is a pain...

Assume that this is your grub menu:

<begin>
kernel0
kernel1
Advanced options for Ubuntu
         subkernel0
         subkernel1
         subkernel2
         subkernel3
         subkernel4
         subkernel5
kernel3
kernel4
</end>

If you want to boot from subkernel4, you have to set
GRUB_DEFAULT="2>4"
or
GRUB_DEFAULT="Advanced options for Ubuntu>subkernel4"
(where subkernel4 is the menuentry title)

If you want to boot from kernel4, you have to set
GRUB_DEFAULT="4"
or
GRUB_DEFAULT="kernel4"
(where kernel4 is the menuentry title)