generic kernel and Cedarview drivers

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Mar 29 09:54:21 UTC 2013

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> http://ef.gy/ubuntu-cedarview-drivers
>
> The problem is removing the pae's.  I have Lubuntu on this system too
> and if I remove the pae's I will remove the one(s) for Lubuntu too.
> I tried and this is what happened.  Do  I need to do this step?  Or
> is there a way to avoid deleting the kernels on the Lubuntu
> partition?  Recovering them afterwards does not seem possible, at
> least not for me.

First of all, the kernels on another partition are not relevant for the
running system, so you don't need to remove them.

You don't even need to remove the pae kernels from the current
partition. If the pae kernel and the generic version of the same kernel
are installed, the pae kernel is automatically started by Grub. However
if you select the generic kernel from the Grub boot menu, that is the
one used for your system. Any driver that needs headers or modules for
the current kernel knows how to find the appropriate data. Otherwise it
would also be a problem to have older kernels installed. And the author
of the article even writes, that removing the pae kernels is the easy
way to do it:

| What the documentation DOESN'T mention - presumably because it doesn't
| exist - is that you MUST make sure that you're not using Ubuntu's
| generic PAE kernel. An easy way to make certain of that would be to
| install the regular, generic kernel and to then remove the PAE kernel
| like so:

Nils