Changing grub default boot order

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 28 20:14:06 UTC 2013

On 28 March 2013 17:45, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 03/28/2013 12:12 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 28 March 2013 15:47, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I upgraded from 10.04 to 12.04 by installing 12.04 on a different hard
>>> drive
>>> and dual booting.  Now I would like to make 12.04 (sdb) the default.
>>> This
>>> link [1] suggests using grub-customizer [2]. Does anyone have any
>>> experience
>>> with this app?
>>

>> How did you manage to install 12.04 and not end up with it as the
>> default?  The question is relevant because you might be best to
>> reinstall grub from 12.04.
>>
>> Colin
>

> I put a new hard drive in the machine and disconnected the one with 10.04 on
> it.  I then installed 12.04 on the new drive.  I wanted to keep the info on
> 10.04 available.  I had planned on using a drive caddy. At this point I had
> completely forgotten about dual-boot.  Once I had both hard drives hooked up
> this is what I ended up with.  Maybe there was a way to have 12.04 as the
> default but I didn't realize exactly what would happen.

I am going to suggest an alternative solution.  The problem, I think,
is that it is booting off the old disk.  I suggest changing the boot
sequence so that it boots off the 12.04 disk.  If you find that you do
not then get the boot option of 10.04 then run sudo update-grub.

Colin