can't access a link in folder

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Thu Mar 28 17:32:01 UTC 2013

Hello Nils,

Thursday, March 28, 2013, 2:40:56 AM, Nils wrote:

> rikona wrote:
>> I am trying to access, from Win2000, a link in a folder in 10.04.

> I suppose you use samba to access the 10.04 folder on a remote
> machine?

Yes.

>> The link points to a USB disk connected to the 10.04 box.
>> Link/folder permissions let anyone access & change. I get 'access
>> denied' - not accessible.

> The permissions of the link itself don't matter but the permissions
> of the target of the link. I think, for a samba share that would
> mean that the folder / file on the USB disk must be shared as well.

I just tried a simpler case. In 10.04 folder A and folder B are both
shared - both are just folders in 10.04, no USB this time. Both A and
B, and their contents, are fully visible in Win2000. I added a link in
B pointing to A. In Win2000 the link is 'not accessible' though.
Something is going on re a link.

>> The link appears in the Win2000 dir, but looks like a
>> plain folder & has no properties. All other stuff can be fully
>> accessed in that folder. Can Win2000 not use links in ext3?

> If you are really using samba,

Yes.

> Win2k doesn't know it is ext3 but it can only see a network share.
> And the link should look like a Windows link, after all that is what
> samba does - translate Linux file systems to Windows network shares
> (or at least that's how I understand it).

The link shows, and one can click on it, so in that sense Win2k is
seeing the link. But, the contents are 'not accessible'. The contents
are fully accessible if it is not linked, which would seem to say that
the permissions are OK.

> OTOH, if you have an ext3 driver for Windows and try to access a
> file on some other partition of a dual boot machine, the link would
> not point to the correct target because the USB disk is not mounted
> to the ext3 file system.

Not the case...

Thanks,

 rikona