can't access a link in folder

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Thu Mar 28 17:27:34 UTC 2013

Hello Liam,

Thursday, March 28, 2013, 2:40:36 AM, Liam wrote:

> On 28 March 2013 06:00, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>> I am trying to access, from Win2000, a link in a folder in 10.04. The
>> link points to a USB disk connected to the 10.04 box. Link/folder
>> permissions let anyone access & change. I get 'access denied' - not
>> accessible. The link appears in the Win2000 dir, but looks like a
>> plain folder & has no properties. All other stuff can be fully
>> accessed in that folder. Can Win2000 not use links in ext3? If I can
>> fix access, will it still have trouble with a 'remote' USB?

> What do you mean a "link"?

In 10.04 I have two folders, say A and B. Inside folder B is a link to
folder A. In properties, it says it is a link, and shows where it
points to [A]. Basically, just a standard link so you can see what's
in A while in B.

> Do you mean a network share?

Yes. In 10.04, folder B is shared. It is 'mapped' and visible in
Win2000. Everything in that folder, except the link, is fully
accessible in Win2000.

> If yes, and the server is running Linux and SAMBA, then it should
> work - the client end cannot see the filesystem of the target over
> the network, so ext2/3/4/whatever is not a problem.

That's what I thought too, but it isn't working that way.

--

 rikona