live CD

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 28 05:02:04 UTC 2013

On 28/03/13 05:22, Ernest Doub wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir at gmail.com
> <mailto:hawat.thufir at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 01:29:24 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
>

>     > Which leads to the second question: what exactly is it that you
>     want to
>     > do with a Live CD (of any description) - to backup his data you say?
>     >
>     > But how are you going to do this? And onto what are you going to
>     backup
>     > his "data" (what exactly is his "data")?
>

>     What I was thinking was to boot to the live cd/thumb drive and either
>     write the data (his photos, etc) to DVD.
>
>     It might be necessary to connect to the network and transfer files to
>     another computer.
>

>     -Thufir
>

> While your going through all this sturm and drang you might suggest to
> him that a more effective virus handler would be a really good idea.�
> Something such as ESET NOD32.
> Was absolutely bulletproof when we still used windoze.� Whole house is
> on Ubuntu now.
> ED
> On the Mojave

No, the best anti-virus software I *would* recommend is Linux.

However, if pressed for some anti-virus for <shudder> Windows, I would
suggest AVG, found here:

https://www.avg.com.au/?utm_source=avgt

which has a free copy for home use.

I have used NOD32 many years ago and I think, going on memories, that it
was rated pretty well but I think that the original product was bought
by NOD and then went expensive. But, as I said, I am working on old
memories, when I last used W :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.4-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor