Spreadsheet that starts 'empty' and grows as you enter data - is there such a beast?

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Wed Mar 27 18:48:05 UTC 2013

On 03/14/2013 11:10 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> I'm after a spreadsheet that starts in a sort of minimal mode and that
> you have to grow as you enter data.
>
> I just want five columns and one or more rows with the number of rows
> simply increasing as you enter more data.
>
> I don't want zillions of empty columns and rows (or hidden 'tables') and
> I don't really want big complex toolbars either.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything that might fulfil this need?

Since you only want to hide, I had the same problem years ago.  When I
have a ledger card that might be very long (annual checkbook, etc.),
I wanted to hide the balance column.  This is what was suggested to me,
and I did:
   A      B    C        D       E    F        G     H
DATE  * DOC   ITEM    DR  CR  BAL  NOTES
in the * column, I put the following, because sometimes the notes column
is off the screen: =if(H6="";"";"*")  (for line 6) (not answer to your Q)
in the balance column I put:   =if(c6="";"";g5+e6-f6)           (for line 6)
This way, the balance does not show unless there is data in the DOC
(check #, etc.) column

Hope that Helps,
John