trubleshooting a laptop

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 27 18:46:19 UTC 2013

On 03/27/2013 02:28 PM, Ernest Doub wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Douglas Pollard
> <dougpol1 at verizon.net <mailto:dougpol1 at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All, My Daughter has a Dell laptop about 5 years old. It has been a
>     nice machine. She bought it used and it was slow as death. It had
>     xp on
>     it and she took it to a shop and they installed windows 7 and either
>     added a memory stick or replaced the old on with no difference in
>     speed.
>     I sent her an Xubuntu live disk for her to try linux with  the thought
>     that if it ran at a reasonable speed I would consider the problem
>     is in
>     windows. She wasn't able to get it to run as she probably needed to
>     press the F12 key to run off her dvd drive or somethin. She is comming
>     here this weekend so I thought i'd try to get the devd to run Xubuntu.
>     Also I would like to get her hooked on Linux.  Will running Linux
>     off a
>     DVD tell me anything about the condition of the hard ware or soft
>     ware.
>     She needs Microsift office for her work.  I guess i could install
>     it as
>     a virtual program in xubuntu couldn't I??  Any suggestions here
>     would be
>     appreciated. She as talked about buy another machine but money is
>     tight
>     for her in this economy so I am trying to help.  I may be all wet with
>     this but figured it might be worth a try and couldn't hurt anything.
>     Doug
>
>     appreciated.
>                      Doug Pollard,
>           Sailor, Machinst, writer,artist
>                     Visit me at:
>
>          http://sailboatsfairandfine.blogspot.com/
>          http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=0sujnvIV4g4
>

>  What component of Micro$oft Office is she chained to and why won't
> Open Office work?
> Has she ever tried Open Office?  The work can be saved in most
> Micro$soft compatible formats.
> Ed
> On the Mojave
>
>     --

She has never used Open Office and is convinced that no one useing
windows will be able to open any files she sends them.  I will try to
convince her other wise this weekend if running off the Xubuntu Dvd
works  I have a feeling that she is running everything on the hard drive
and not seeing or using her memory at all so it is very slow.  She just
called and told me the computer shuts down after a while.        Doug