Migrating tomboy to notes

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Mar 25 11:28:40 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 08:31:14PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Jose I. Diaz Bardales
> > As Marius mentioned you can find all your Tomboy notes
> > ~/.local/share/tomboy/
> > and then move them all to the new directory
> > ~/.local/share/notes
> >
> > *Note* They should be just plain text files.
>
> Ahah!!   There they are.  I had no idea there was a ~/.local/share.
> Is this stuff really shared, or is that just a name?

It's a directory defined by the XDG Base Directory Specification[1].

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

I guess the name is a tip of the hat towards /usr/share, which is for
data that can be shared between different architectures (as opposed to
/usr/lib, which is for architecture-specific data).

Marius Gedminas
--
As an aside, UPnP's implementation (which features SOAP, HTTP over
multicast/broadcast UDP, and extremely odd XML) is a must-read for fans of