MultiOS USB Stick II

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Mar 22 20:10:57 UTC 2013

Amichai Rotman wrote:
> I have a 32Gb pen drive. I'd like to install GRUB on it to boot the
> different options for my "bug hunting" procedure, i.e.: create a
> folder named ISO, put a bunch of ISO files in it and choose between
> them at boot time. For example:
>
> System Rescue
> Windows 7 Install
> Ubuntu Install
> Avira Rescue CD...
>
> So, How do I figure out what to write in the menu item for each
> (except the title, of course...). I want to be able to figure it out
> for any live ISO out there, not just for those I mentioned.

On my USB stick I have entries like this for some Ubuntu images in the
file "/boot/grub/grub.cfg":

menuentry "Mini Raring i386" {
 loopback loop /isos/raring-i386-mini.iso
 linux (loop)/linux iso-scan/filename=/isos/raring-i386-mini.iso initrd=initrd.gz -- quiet
 initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

The images are in a folder "/isos" but you probably guessed that already.

Nils