re-install

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 19:22:50 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 01:31 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

> You have mentioned your use of the /opt directory for what you are doing
> and this has always intrigued me because /opt is one of the directories
> which is overwritten when a new installation is perfomed. In fact the
> whole of the partition containing the current installation is formatted
> during a new installation - unless what YOU do is never to reformat the
> partition but to simply install the new version into the existing
> partition. If you don't this then I am puzzled and you will have to give
> me the way you do your trick (with the /opt directory) - and NONE of
> that "Waving the chook leg all about, man!" thing :-) .

During fresh install time there is no root directory or opt directory,
just the /dev/sd* partitions to deal with. The partition I keep /opt on
I exclude and only format the partition to become the root directory,
which is the same partition it was before, to install to.

After install, I hand edit /etc/fstab to auto-mount it the /opt
partition right over the empty one that was freshly created. I also keep
my /opt filesystem on ext3, so I'm not diddling with the ext4
complexities. So, if I unmounted the /opt partition, there is still an
/opt directory, yes.

Using ext3 all I have to add to fstab is:
/dev/sda2	/opt	ext3

I like simple. I think I need to add the filesystem check bit. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html