fetchmail size limits?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Mar 19 16:45:16 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 12:20 PM, R Kimber wrote:

> Many thanks.  That indeed did the trick.  Though I'm not clear why.
>
> I run fetchmail, which retrieves the messages and passes them to
> procmail, which delivers them to various local directories.  What role does
> postfix play in this?

 From fetchmail man page:

As  each  message is retrieved, fetchmail normally delivers it via SMTP
to port 25 on the machine it is running on (localhost), just as  though
it  were being passed in over a normal TCP/IP link.  fetchmail provides
the SMTP server with  an  envelope  recipient  derived  in  the  manner
described  previously.   The  mail  will then be delivered according to
your MTA's rules (the  Mail  Transfer  Agent  is  usually  sendmail(8),
  exim(8),  or  postfix(8)).   Invoking  your system's MDA (Mail Delivery
  Agent) is the duty of your MTA.  All  the  delivery-control  mechanisms
  (such as .forward files) normally available through your system MTA and
  local delivery agents will therefore be applied as usual.

If your fetchmail  configuration  sets  a  local  MDA  (see  the  --mda
option), it will be used directly instead of talking SMTP to port 25.