fetchmail size limits?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Mar 19 13:29:37 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 19 March 2013 09:05:34 R Kimber did opine:

> Someone has sent me an email message with an attachment that is 9.5MB in
> size. I'm using fetchmail to download mail from my ISP's POP3 mail
> server (BT Yahoo).  All my normal mail is downloaded fine, but the
> email with the attachment just sits in the inbox on the mail server.  I
> haven't explicitly set any limits on message size at my end, and
> fetchmail is asked to "fetchall" in the rc file. Is there some hidden
> message size limit for fetchmail?
>
> The only vaguely relevant thing I can see is that:
> "Fetch message size limit is 100 (--fetchsizelimit 100)", but I don't
> quite understand what this relates to. I assume it's an in-built
> default.  The manpage says:
> "Limit the number of sizes of messages accepted from a given server in
> a single transaction" ... "For POP3, the only valid non-zero value is 1"
> so why it's 100, I don't know, nor whether it's relevant (what does
> "number of sizes" mean?).
>
> I'm using 12.04 with  fetchmail 6.3.21+GSS+NTLM+SDPS+SSL+NLS+KRB5
> I'd be grateful for help: how do I ensure that fetchmail retrieves
> everything?
>
> - Richard.

That is a very old version of fetchmail, 6.3.25 might fix it.  I've been
building fetchmail from srcs for yonks.  The distro's in general don't seem
to have a quarter to call some who cares whether it is uptodate or not...

I just put in 6.3.25 built from src, no errors, works fine.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Prunes give you a run for your money.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...