Upgrade 10.04 -> 12.04, no menus in top panel

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 17:29:38 UTC 2013

On 18 March 2013 17:21, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> That gave me the idea of googling for
> ubuntu disable global menu
> which led me to
> http://www.noobslab.com/2012/10/important-thingstweaks-to-do-after.html
> which suggested uninstalling some appmenu packages and by comparing
> the problem machine with another 12.04 one I discovered that
> appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt indicator-appmenu appmenu-gtk3 were not
> installed.  Installing them seems to have fixed it.  So your excellent
> comment has led me to get the menus working and potentially for
> yourself to disable them.
>
> That is what I call a result.

Excellent!

The reason I was asking which GPU chip is that I have discovered
before now that with a carefully-handcrafted /etc/X.11/xorg.conf file,
one can enable *enough* 3D functionality in an over-a-decade-old GPU
to get Unity to run, including elderly ATI Rage and Matrox devices.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884