Upgrade 10.04 -> 12.04, no menus in top panel

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 16:37:09 UTC 2013

2013/3/18 Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:
> On 18 March 2013 14:26, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on this anyone?
>>
>> I'm not sure - my last PC which only has 2D graphics is too slow for
>> Unity to be usable any more, so I switched to Lubuntu.
>>
>> What graphics chip is it?
>>
>> I have a distant feeling that this might be normal behaviour, but I've
>> not looked at Unity-2D in a couple of years now.
>
> No, it is not a graphics chip issue, it is fine running off the live
> CD.  Something has not upgraded or installed properly on the way to
> 12.04.  There were a couple of error dialogs on the way but
> unfortunately they seemed to be using non-existent fonts so the text
> was just rectangles, and I had to click the (presumed) ok button.
>
> My thought was to try
> sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
> but I am not sure whether there are any dangers in doing that.  I have
> the additional problem that the machine is a relative's and is three
> hours drive away so if anything catastrophic happens I am in trouble.
>
> Colin

Not all software support menus in the top bar. Are you sure you have
tried windows that is supposed to work that way? Well, you probably
have; Nautilus and Gedit should support it at least. And the terminal
of course.

If you find out what you need to install, please tell me so I can
uninstall that package. I hate that I must move the mouse so much more
every time I want to use the menus. If I have a window at the lower
right corner for instance, I need to move the mouse pointer maybe
30–40 cm extra (30 cm≈1 ft) to reach the menu. Very stupid design if
you ask me…

Johnny Rosenberg