mkinitrd on missing list?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Mar 17 04:03:07 UTC 2013

On Saturday 16 March 2013 23:42:20 Ernest Doub did opine:

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
[...]>
> Gene look on Evil BAY or at a local hobby shop that caters to the R/C
> car crowd for tiny tools.
> Sometimes you have to be looking under the right color rock to find the
> gnome sized tools.
> ED

That might be a possibility, but our "local" Hobby Stop shop, 60 miles &
change for the round trip, is closed tomorrow.

So I expect I'll just make one on the milling machine, out of a broken 1/8"
shank carbide milling tool.  A dremel diamond disk in the mill, the broken
carbide tool in a 3 jaw on the rotary table.  First, take the last 1/8" of
it down to about 0.070 diameter, then write a loop that sets the table at
60 degree intervals, polish a couple thou off at each position using the
diamond until a test fit just fits.  I can do that tomorrow, and it will be
a better made wrench than I can buy for any amount of money.  Carbide is
tough stuff, but the diamond, spinning slow so it doesn't get hot and
ablate the edges away, will cut it very precisely.  And it cuts smoother
and faster if, when its just touching, its wiggled sideways so that the
tallest diamond grains which do the cutting, are not just plowing a groove,
but doing a mirror finish thats dead flat.  I made a countersink that way
this afternoon.

The next person that picks it up out of the drawer after I'm gone will not
of course recognize what he has in his hand but it /will/ work better than
anything he can buy.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
A fool and his honey are soon parted.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...