mkinitrd on missing list?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 16 15:09:53 UTC 2013

On 16/03/13 01:45, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 15 March 2013 09:42:59 Basil Chupin did opine:
>
>> On 15/03/13 17:37, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> On Friday 15 March 2013 02:35:33 Tom H did opine:

>>> I found it had been renamed with a small syntax change, got it
>>> working, but now it can't find my mouse or keyboard.  More putzing
>>> around tomorrow I expect.
>> Gene, what's it like banging your head against a brick wall? :-)
>>
>> BC
> Not exactly a good experience Basil, however it was time I got my hand back
> in at building a recent kernel.  I have spent a good 10 years building and
> using Linus's latest starting at about -rc2 of each cycle, but had stopped
> because I wanted to have exactly the same install on this machine that
> actually runs my hardware in the shop.

[pruned]

Hi Gene,

I asked that question tongue-in-cheek, and you have explained at least
twice before your situation re your equipment.

My question really attempted to see if you had considered using some
other distro for your needs - like openSUSE where everything you need to
compile your own kernel is most readily available by simply ticking a
box or two to have the necessary files installed (like kernel-source,
mkinitrd, etc etc etc).

But of course you may have other ideas which is fair enough.

However, have you considered using the OBS (openSUSE Build Sevice now
renamed Open Build Service) where you can develop your own things
because all the programs are available there for you - ie, anyone - to
use? More info on this is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Build_Service

Just a thought and it may save you hours of work.

Basil

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 with KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.3-1