kernel update hosed my system (solved)

John Scott fyrbrds at netscape.net
Fri Mar 15 23:14:13 UTC 2013

On 03/15/2013 12:47 AM, John Scott wrote:
> Weird to still have this classic problem. Have a fresh install of
> Ubuntu 12.10. I let the first series of updates run but unchecked the
> kernel updates because I just had this same problem on another
> computer. After everything else was running great I went ahead and
> allowed the kernel update to 3.5.0-25-generic. Upon reboot Unity has
> malfunctioned and my display adapter is really slow. I'm in the GUI
> and can run programs if I can find the icons or start them from
> terminal. I'm writing this with Thunderbird launched from terminal.
>
> Obviously the kernel update either didn't update modules or the ATI
> Radeon module is stale or something. Anyone seen this before? Probably
> an easy fix. I'm just surprised that a kernel update on a fresh
> install can totally hose the system with a distro this mature.
>
> John Scott

Arrrgh! I'm disappointed that this problem came from a kernel update. I
solved it by building a new Radeon driver package for the new kernel
despite having no display-related error notifications. Unbelievable that
in 2013 a system is still hosed by a kernel update that Ubuntu is
pushing. They would better inform but not queue for install, updates for
people using mfg display drivers.

I had to install kernel headers, debhelper, execstack, and dh-modaliases
for the compile to succeed. Then I had to manually install the 3 new
driver packages with dpkg.

How would a user transitioning from another OS figure that out? I don't
understand why Ubuntu can make deals with companies like Amazon but
still won't provide user-friendly solution to the display driver
conundrum by including the real drivers and letting the user choose.
Google is still the only company marketing a Linux that just works with
no politics in the way. I find that truly amazing.