kernel update hosed my system

John Scott fyrbrds at netscape.net
Thu Mar 14 23:47:43 UTC 2013

Weird to still have this classic problem. Have a fresh install of Ubuntu
12.10. I let the first series of updates run but unchecked the kernel
updates because I just had this same problem on another computer. After
everything else was running great I went ahead and allowed the kernel
update to 3.5.0-25-generic. Upon reboot Unity has malfunctioned and my
display adapter is really slow. I'm in the GUI and can run programs if I
can find the icons or start them from terminal. I'm writing this with
Thunderbird launched from terminal.

Obviously the kernel update either didn't update modules or the ATI
Radeon module is stale or something. Anyone seen this before? Probably
an easy fix. I'm just surprised that a kernel update on a fresh install
can totally hose the system with a distro this mature.

John Scott