Realtek 8111e vs. Precise

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 14 20:16:27 UTC 2013

On 13 March 2013 04:09, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I have my wrist strap wired to a power plug which is then plugged in into
> the wall socket. But before everyone cries out in horror, the wire which is
> connected is the earth wire - the active and the neutral wires are
> non-existent :-) .

That is not necessarily the right thing to do.  The important thing is
not that you are earthed, but you are connected to the chassis of the
PC.  If the PC is not plugged in to anything then /it/ may not be
earthed so a spark can still ensue, in fact earthing yourself could
make it worse.  Also, with a laptop, even if it is plugged into the
wall socket I am not sure that the earth in the wall is connected to
the chassis of the laptop.  What I do with a laptop is half plug in a
usb connector and clip the strap onto the shield of the usb plug.

Colin