syslog from another computer

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Mar 14 07:50:20 UTC 2013

Wade Smart wrote:
> I have a ddwrt router in a office that I want to send
> the logs to my computer. The ddwrt doc said
> your computer just needs to have a syslog installed.
>
> So I put in my ip and enabled.
>
> So -- Im feeling stupid as I have NO idea where
> that log is going (on my computer).
>
> When Im opening Log Viewer and I dont see anything
> new.

First you should enable logging from other machines. Simply edit
/etc/rsyslog.conf (as root) and search for this section:

# provides UDP syslog reception
#$ModLoad imudp
#$UDPServerRun 514

Uncomment the last two lines of that section to make it look like this:

# provides UDP syslog reception
$ModLoad imudp
$UDPServerRun 514

After saving the file, restart rsyslog with the command

sudo restart rsyslog

in a terminal. You should find the log entries from your router in
"/var/log/syslog".

Nils