Grub Configuration for Multi ISO USB Pendrive

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 12 04:26:16 UTC 2013

On 12/03/13 05:42, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to prepare a Multi ISO Pendrive to be used as an OS
> installation and diagnostics Swiss Army Knife.
>
> What I want to achieve:
>
> The Pendrive should include:
>
> 1) An ISO folder containing the following OSes:
> -->  WinXP Pro Slipstreamed with SP3
> --> Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit
> --> Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
> --> Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.2 32Bit
> --> Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.2 64Bit
> --> Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 32Bit
> --> Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 64Bit
>
> Of course - all Windows versions are legal copies and used
> as maintenance  for existing Windows users and used with the
> customer's legal product key / license.
>
> * A 4Gb FAT32 partition for Windows drivers and applications to
> install after the basic system installation.
>
> * Needs to be bootable :-)
> My problem is with the configuration of the the different menu entries
> of the Grub configuration files.
>
> Actually, what I currently know is how to create an ISO from an
> existing install CD, partition the USB Pendrive and Copy the files...
>
> What would be the correct and preferable procedure to end up with the
> said Swiss Army Knife of OS installation?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amichai.

Read this article. Should be of invaluable help to you.

http://www.linuxidentity.com/us/down/articles/LSK_multi_distro_install_US.pdf

WARNING: while the article is about grub2 it still uses grub - and not
grub2 - in the commands shown on page 16. For example, the command
"grub-mkconfig -o /media/btldr/boot/grub/grub.cfg" should read,
"grub2mkconfig -o /media/btldr/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" - so keep an eye out
for these little "traps"

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 with KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.2-1