Command line tools for admin

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Mar 10 19:22:02 UTC 2013

John Scott wrote:
> >> For example I tried to switch to the
> >> proprietary radeon driver using the "additional drivers" tool and
> >> this left the gui unusable after restart. Nautilus crashes over and
> >> over. So I downloaded the ATI driver from AMD but can't install it
> >> because kernel headers aren't installed. If there is a command line
> >> package manager that can show me all the packages for this version
> >> of
> >> Ubuntu so I can select and install what I need, that would be
> >> great.
> >> Apt-get alone won't cut it without a list of packages to install.

> Yes, aptitude is the name of one tool I had forgotten. I was able to
> do an update and the system miraculously rebooted normally.  Thanks.
> Unfortunately my next reboot this morning undid that progress. There
> was a new kernel in that update stack and just like that I can't boot
> again because I think grub wasn't updated during the update.

You could use the previous kernel if you select it at the grub boot
prompt - but that is certainly not the right solution. Unfortunately I
have no experience with ATI cards, so I think I can't help you further
except providing this URL:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VideoDriverHowto>
If you need help from others on this list, it may help to post the exact
card type, something like the output of the command "lspci".

Nils