Dual Display problems in 12.10 and Raring

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 09:04:59 UTC 2013

On 03/05/2013 04:43 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 4 March 2013 22:42, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, normal side-by-side monitors.  As I said it all works perfectly
>>> apart from the two problems above.

>>> As I said, the basic dual display operation is working fine, just the
>>> specific issues I have described (possibly not very well described
>>> given the confusion).
>>

>> Right, but that sort of problems are what twin-view and xandr and xinerama
>> were created for. Say you have a lap top and a bigger display on your desk
>> to use when you are at home. xandr is what provides that kind of support.
>> Out-of-the-box, making two displays act as one takes additional "stuff".
>> When it does work, it's kewl!
>>
>> So, I think you, old friend, may have to resign yourself to googling on
>> xandr to ~customize~ your setup the way you want it. Open a terminal and
>> type xandr -q and see if it's in use and defining things. If it is, there is
>> the culprit, ~I believe~. (not 100% sure, of course)
>
> Many thanks for trying to help Ric but I am not really looking for a
> workaround at the moment.  Both the problems I am seeing are
> regressions introduced in in 12.10 and now in Raring.  What I hoped
> for is that someone could confirm the bugs in the hope that they might
> get traction and get fixed.  If you use dual displays are you seeing
> either of them?

On my three screens, I can put the desktop bars on whatever screen I
define as screen0. Or, spread it across all three, which defeats the
purpose to me. The nVidia setup tool does that drudgery of setting them
up. Is there something similar for Intel? As far as Firefox goes, I have
open-under-mouse set, in the Desktop Settings, so I move the cursor
QUICKLY to the screen I want as soon as I launch it. Gotta be fast!

I think the poor thing is just trying to be helpful and you should be
nice to it. <grins> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html