Ubuntu 12.04 hanging very frequently

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 4 16:05:00 UTC 2013

On 4 March 2013 14:53, Sanjib Sikder <sanjibju2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> If we knew the exact message then we could possibly help.
>
> I uninstalled the adobe flash plug in that I had installed manually. Then I
> tried to install it through software center. The first message that it
> showed is:
>
>> Requires installation of untrusted packages
>> The action would require the installation of packages from not
>> authenticated sources.
>> Details:
>> flashplugin-installer
>

> And it asked for repair. Once repair button is selected, it installed adobe
> flash plug in with a pop up which says

I don't know what that was about, possibly a hang over from previous attempts.

>> Failure to download extra data files
>> The following packages requested additional data downloads after package
>> installation, but the data could not be downloaded or could not be
>> processed.
>> flashplugin-installer
>> The download will be attempted again later, or you can try the download
>> again now.  Running this command requires an active Internet connection.
>

> The option was 'run this action now'. On pressing that, the terminal opened
> with following lines
>
>> flashplugin-installer: downloading
>> http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/adobe-flashplugin_11.2.202.273.orig.tar.gz

That means that it is working ok this time

> After sometime the terminal got closed. So ultimately the  adobe installer
> got installed but the installer could not download and install adobe flash
> plug in.

When you say it "got closed" do you mean you closed it or it did it
itself?  If it did it itself then it should mean that it completed the
download and installed it.

> There is no issue with my internet connection.
>
> How do I install adobe flash plug in from software center ?

It should be installed.  Is flash working?

If, in a terminal you do
apt-cache policy flashplugin-installer
what do you see, and in Firefox if you go to Tools > Addons > Plugins
you should see Shockwave Flash.  Which version does it say it is?

Colin