Yahoo junk email

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 17:24:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> > On 02/26/2013 01:40 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> >
> >> This has been going on for 4-5 years, not just days.
> >>

> > Trust me, there's a new batch of compromised accounts of the past few
> days
> > that utterly dwarfs any of the previous yahoo security failures.
> >
> > I usually see 1 or 2 of my clients with compromised web mails per year.
>  But
> > almost all the yahoo ones are now hit in a matter of days.
> > One of them didn't even know she had webmail.  Her computer was set up
> with
> > Thunderbird (pop) and that's the only way e-mail was ever accessed... so
> > that rules out the usual cross site XSS exploit most people are assuming
> > this is.
> >
> I don't disagree with or disbelieve you.
>
> I've seen these come in waves, and they've been going on for a long
> time.  Some waves are more effective than others.  I've yet to see my
> yahoo email spoofed, although one of my gmail eaddresses has been once
> or twice, but the waves subside and reemerge over time.  AOL was the
> first to get hit (and they still do), then hotmail, then yahoo, then
> (more recently) gmail though to a lesser extent.
>
> As long as we have security holes on the web, we'll see this sort of
> thing.  IOW, probably forever.
>
> Cheers.
>
> MR
>
> Not only security holes using browsers (and windows),
which are the primary targets of attacks, but also
because people choose very simple and short passwords,
which are easily cracked just by brute force of trial and error.
Within my own circle of friends (users of Windows and Mac), I know
of 4 or 5 of them whose yahoo account passwords were compromised.