Is GS broken on 10.04.4 LTS?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 28 17:57:42 UTC 2013

On Friday 28 June 2013 13:45:27 Patrick Asselman did opine:

> On 2013-06-28 14:31, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 28 June 2013 08:30:47 Gene Heskett did opine:
> >
> > Ping?
> >
> >> Greetings;
> >>
> >> First, gwenview is broken, in a multipage eps file it can only show
> >> me,
> >> or print, the first page.  That isn't noted in any of the
> >> descriptions
> >> that entice one to have synaptic install it.  The ideal would be
> >> gsview, which can print each page displayed.
> >>
> >> I have a 6 page eps document, generated by gimp from an .svg which
> >> gs
> >> can display just fine, cycling thru the 6 pages by hitting the enter
> >> key.
> >>
> >> The man page says I can have it generate 6 individual page files
> >> using
> >> the -sOutputFile=nameoffile%d.xyz, so I would assume I can make 6
> >> individual page files by using nameoffile%d.pdf
> >>
> >> I can remember doing that, on an amiga in about 1995, printing the
> >> complete 440 page pdf of the Portable Document Specification 3.0 by
> >> doing it to individual page files, then writing an ARexx script that
> >> inspected each page as to its size, and if less than 50 bytes it was
> >> blank page that while containing a formfeed, did NOT first issue a
> >> line
> >> feed to get a printer that ignores a formfeed if its already at TOF,
> >> so
> >> I had to issue a linefeed to the printer to get it off of TOF, then
> >> form feed to get it to eject the blank page so as to keep the pages
> >> of
> >> a duplex job in the proper order.
> >>
> >> Sure I can.  NOT!  I own the directory I'm working in, and I have
> >> tried
> >> that syntax shown above, moving it around on the CLI but I have yet
> >> have it generate an output file of any kind.  No errors are
> >> generated
> >> either.
> >>
> >> Do I also have to specify something else too?  The man page doesn't
> >> seem
> >> to indicate that it is needed, so what gives?  Buggy gs?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any clues folks.
> >>
> >> Cheers, Gene
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
> > --

> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up!
> > My views
> > <http://www.armchairpatriot.com/What%20Has%20America%20Become.shtml>
> > Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with
> > confidence.
> > A pen in the hand of this president is far more
> > dangerous than 200 million guns in the hands of
> >
> >          law-abiding citizens.
>
> http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/current/Use.htm#EPS

I am well aware of that, and I could present that files contents in other
formats including ps and pdf.  It was tried, and gs will not do as
advertised.  See its manpage and try it yourself.

My point is that its a multi-page file, intended to be assembled as a
poster, but the presently supplied gs has apparently had the capability of
generating individual page files removed, and this is one of the more
useful features of gs as it allows one to generate the files, then write a
bash script to send those files to the non duplexing printer in the proper
order so as to allow a job to be printed in duplex, one side at a time, by
turning the paper on the output tray the other side up and putting it back
in the input slot.

FWIW, I did get it printed, but I had to go into the printers menu and
disable its duplexing capability, which I will probably leave off as the
"binding ditch" it puts on such output is on the wrong edge of the sheet.
And there is no provision in its menu's to put it on the correct edge.

> <insert pointless banter here>
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick
>
> <insert anti-gun signature here>