Invisible Windows

GaryT taig at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jun 28 11:02:33 UTC 2013

Help :-)
The ability to read help files doesn't solve this one.

I'm looking for a Linux programmer or expert super-user to say "Yes, by
all means, do the following".  Any help appreciated.

Using version 10.04 LTS.

Today I had an incident where the mouse suddenly went haywire. It
travelled all around the edges of the screen, it closed windows, made
new folders, and generally clicked in and on all sorts of places.
It has happened before and last time I solved it by replacing my KVM
switch because it also happened on another machine.  That was with an
earlier version Ubuntu and was a long time ago. With the new KVM switch
there have been no issues, until now, and not yet on another machine.

When this happened in the past you had to delete all the unwanted new
folders, restore all the deleted files and generally spend time cleaning
up, after a reboot.

However, today when the mouse went mad all my 4-5 open windows suddenly
disappeared. After a reboot everything was seemingly back to normal but
at the time, when the mouse madness suddenly ended, they were all
gone... literally invisible!  I thought they must have all been closed.

As I shut down the machine to reboot, one of the previously opened
windows flashed on the screen, and at that point I realised they had not
necessarily been closed, they had just been completely hidden.

NOW...

When I minimise a window, it disappears.  Any/every window that's
minimised, disappears. Windows used to minimise to the little panel that
runs horizontally along the edge of the screen, and you could simply
click on the "docked" window name to display it. Now they disappear
completely.

Since this began, I've discovered and enabled the "Window Selector"
which enables one to select (by name) and show a window that is not
displayed.

The Alt-Tab key combination also still works, and all the open but
'invisible' windows are shown for selection (wish I had thought to check
that one before rebooting today).

There is another little button in the corner of the screen. It appears
not to have a title, but its tool tip message reads:  "Click here to
hide all windows and show the desktop". When you click it certainly does
hide all/any displayed windows, and a second click does not redisplay
them, so at least it appears to be doing exactly what it's designed to
do. I don't know whether a second click is supposed to redisplay them
because I've never noticed or used it before.

Regardless of the status of that button, any window I minimise now
simply disappears from view.  It hasn't been moved to another desktop or
anything so simple, it literally disappears.

This may have nothing at all to do with the mouse going mad, and for the
moment unless there is a known virus causing both, I'll treat them as
separate problems, because there is no apparent connection. It could be
just a coincidence they happened on the same day at the same time. It
could be as simple as a wayward right mouse click bringing up a sub-menu
and another selecting one of the options. But what?

Greatly appreciate any help.
GaryT