How do I set permissions on a samba connection?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jun 25 18:33:11 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 25 June 2013 14:22:30 Avi Greenbury did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Samba/CIFS, is IMO the wrong tool. For starters its intended to talk
> > to winders machines, and the last time I checked, was still unable to
> > work with the perms diffs between windows and any *nix.
>
> It's intended to talk to CIFS clients, and Ubuntu is a CIFS client.
> It doesn't implement Unix filesystem permissions, but the permissions
> mechanism it does use is a much more powerful and flexible set of
> ACLs - it's no bad thing that it's not restricted to Unix fs
> permissions.
>
> > You want nfs, but you'll need to do some configuring.  Its all in the
> > man pages AFAIK.
>
> NFS is fine, too. But SMB/CIFS should also Just Work.

Samba/CIFS has not Just Worked for me since about 3.1 eons ago.  About the
same time, NFS started working and my only bitch is its inactivity timeouts
that occasionally need a restart of autofs to restore.

Another thing I did was to run the same distro's (ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS) on
all machines on my local network, or workalike derivitives, like I have
Mint 14 on my lappy that I occasionally use as a remote terminal when I am
doing something on my cnc's lathe that doesn't require eyeball and instant
access to the E-Stop button.  Since an ssh session doesn't honor usernames
once established (and I consider that a huge bug, but that and $1.50 will
get you a cuppa anyplace but Starbucks), but only usernum's, that gets rid
of all the reasons I can't copy a file, as me, from the local machine to
the target machine or vice versa.

As the T-shirt says, I used to care what Samba/CIFS did, but now I take a
pill for that, its called NFS.  :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
The magic of our first love is our ignorance that it can ever end.
		-- Benjamin Disraeli
         law-abiding citizens.