system does not boot install cd

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Mon Jun 24 09:30:46 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a system reinstalled with Ubuntu server 12.04.2LTS
64-bit. Someone at a remote site is helping me with this. The
information I've got so far:

* .iso file downloaded from
http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download?distro=server&bits=64&release=lts
* the system does not boot from the DVD
* the system does not boot from USB
* the install DVD is confirmed to be bootable, it works on another
system
* the install USB is confirmed to work on another system also
* the bios shows a correct boot order (1-cd 2-usb 3-raid 4-network)

This combination of events is confusing me. What can be the matter
here?

The server is a rack mounted server, HP proliant DL350 G5. It has
12.04.2LTS server 32-bit running on it (not installed by me, and the
person who did it can not be reached at the moment).

Is it the ilo system that is confusing things?
Or maybe the raid controller is not recognised by Ubuntu? In that case,
will it help to do the install with the Alternate DVD instead of the
server version?

Any help is appreciated, as I am running out of ideas.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman