Audio-CD not mountable

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Jun 24 08:27:14 UTC 2013

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> In my case inserting an audio CD shows the Audio-CD icon on
> the desktop. I didn't have parole therefore I downloaded it and just
> as you described it started to run the CD. But theerafter our
> experiences differ. Parole works like Banshee, while Rhythmbox
> eventually played the CD but Audacity didn't want to play the CD as
> that program wants to mount the CD.

I installed Audacity to find out how it would work but I couldn't find a
way to play an audio-CD. For me it looks like Audacity is a program to
edit audio files but not read audio-CDs.

> I then started thunar which
> showed the "Audio Disc" as an item in the left column but clicking on
> it gave an error window with: "Failed to mount "Audio Disc" Location
> not mountable.".
> Therefore there is something in error in my system that prevents the
> proper mounting of the CD which - I can safely suppose - is in an
> iso9660 format.

No, it isn't ISO9660 because that would be used for data, not for audio.
Anyway, I would rather assume a problem with the gvfs system which seems
to be responsible for the fake mounting of audio-CDs. I did some more
tests here and when I double-click the Audio-CD icon on the desktop, I
can see a new folder "~/.gvfs/CDDA-Medium in sr0/". Maybe the
permissions for the folder ~/.gvfs are damaged on your system. On my
machine it looks like this:

~/ > ls -ld .gvfs
dr-x------ 3 nils nils 0 Jun 24 09:06 .gvfs

> It may be some switch in some list that may accidentally been set
> wrongly by some un-behaving program but I don't know sufficiently of
> the innards of ubuntu (or xubuntu) to know where it is set and I
> don't know the actual subroutines that govern the loading of an audio
> disc.

I don't know anything about the configuration of Xubuntu, so I can't
really help you there. But you could create a new user, like Colin
suggested already. Then you can compare the config files in ~/.config of
both users. maybe that gives a hint. However if the bahaviour is the
same for the new user, you could reinstall the package "gvfs-backends"
which seems to be the one used for accessing audio-CDs like files.

Nils