Audio-CD not mountable

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Jun 23 07:57:41 UTC 2013

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Thanks for the lucid explanation. The only problem remains that in
> another system with the same operating system the audio CD can be
> mounted and opened with e.g. thunar.

Well, actually some systems have the possibility to read the audio CD
and show it to the user like it was mounted, but technically it isn't
because you really can't mount an audio-CD. But I suppose you don't care
about the technical details als long as it "Just Works (TM)". So let's
try to find out what exactly doesn't work like expected on your system.

Now I installed xubuntu-desktop on my laptop (with 12.04) to find out
what happens if I start a xubuntu session and insert an audio-CD. The
result is that an icon labeled "Audio-CD" appears on the desktop and
parole media player automatically gets started to play the music of the
CD. If I then close the media player and double-click on the Audio-CD
icon, the file manager thunar opens and I can see the individual tracks
as wav files with fake filenames like "/Track 1.wav". Please note the
leading "/" which is actually not allowed in a real filename because it
is the directory separator. If I open a terminal and check with the
"mount" command, I can't see anything mounted which looks like the
audio-CD. The output is the same as it was before I inserted the CD.

I can then "copy" the wav files from the Audio-CD to some place e.g. in
my $HOME folder and the file manager rips the selected CD tracks and
places real wav files on my harddisk with real filenames without "/".

I also tried what happens with a modern "Enhanced CD" which has a data
section and an audio section. In this case I get two icons on the
desktop, one labeled "Audio-CD" and the other one labeled with the
artists name. This time a dialog appears where I can select to display
the files or to play the CD. If I select to play the CD, it starts
parole media player like it did with the real audio-CD. If I select to
show the files, it mounts the data section of the CD and opens thunar to
show the files but those are not wav files but some useless crap for
Windows. This time I can see with the mount command that the CD is
actually mounted and I can e.g. list the files withe the ls command.

What I described above is what I would expect to see on a standard
Xubuntu machine. Please explain what is different on your machine, so we
can possibly determine what is wrong on your machine.

Nils