Audio-CD not mountable

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Jun 21 19:56:52 UTC 2013

I have a very annoying problem. I can read data-discs, burn data- and
audio- discs, but I cannot read audio-discs.
I load the disc in the reader/burner and it shows up on the desktop as
"Audio Disc" but I cannot open it or mount it.
When I  hover over the image it says: "Removable Volume not mounted
yet". When I click right on the image it gives a menu with: "Open",
"Mount Volume", "Properties"(greyed) and "Applications".
When I click "Open" or "Mount Volume" I get an error window
saying:"Failed to mount audio Disc","location is not mountable".
I hope somebody recognises the error and knows the remedy.
Xubuntu 12.04.
On another system with the same OS the same discs load without a problem
(but at the moment I have a mechanical problem with the reader).
I hope somebody has the solution as I need urgently to copy a few tracks.
Joep