Ubuntu 13.04 Suffers Performance

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 20 02:22:52 UTC 2013

On 20/06/13 05:32, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Thanks for the command, but I don't understand what it does, so I
>>> won't try it. If I read "executeSimpleSQL("VACUUM")", I fear it
>>> would delete things I want to keep.
>> Well I did this 'vacuuming' a while back and I didn't notice any bad
>> effects. But make a backup of ~/.mozilla of course just in case :-) .
> While I don't expect any nefarious commands from you, I still don't like
> to run an unknown command as root on my main machine. Therefore I tried
> it with an Xubuntu 13.04 Live-CD and this is the result:
>
> xubuntu at xubuntu:~$ sudo su
> root at xubuntu:/home/xubuntu#
> Components.classes["@mozilla.org/browser/nav-history-
> service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsPIPlacesDatabase).DBConnection.executeSimpleSQL("VACUUM");
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token
> `Components.interfaces.nsPIPlacesDatabase'
> root at xubuntu:/home/xubuntu#
>
> Obviously there is something wrong with the command ...
>
> I suppose it is a command to be run within a database program (sqlite?),
> but I'm not familiar with any of them, so I don't even know if that is a
> wrong guess.

A search of the 'net shows the command in someone's blog but it is quite
the same as the one I gave.

However, much better now as there is an add-on which does the job:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vacuum-places/

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.10.4 & kernel 3.9.6-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor