only one ping from router

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 22:15:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>>
>> It's better to use "ip a" (short of "ip address show") because
>> "ifconfig" is obsolete.
>
> Do you have a reference for that allegation? It seems that Ubuntu
> doesn't know about it - this is from a 13.04 machine:
>
> $ grep -r ifconfig /etc/init /etc/init.d
> /etc/init/network-interface.conf:       ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up || true
> $ grep -r 'ip ' /etc/init /etc/init.d
> $
>
> Granted, this is not necessarily an exhaustive research but I also
> briefly tried to find something with the help of $SEARCH_ENGINE. Indeed
> there was a two year old page claiming that "On Linux ifconfig is
> obsolete" with a reference to "man ifconfig". However if I run "man
> ifconfig" on a 13.04 machine, it isn't mentioned that ifconfig is
> obsolete.

Old habits die hard. The maintainer of
"/etc/init/network-interface.conf" ought to be told that he's still
using ifconfig... If he's not one of these "I'll keep on using the
tools that I've been using since I first started using Linux/Unix,"
he'll change it.

For the record, "/etc/init.d/bind9" also uses ifconfig. And there may be others.

See this 2009 post [1] for the obsoletion of net-tools.

One of the Debian sysvinit/ifupdown maintainers has removed ifupdown's
reliance on net-tools for Debian 7 and has proposed that net-tools no
longer have a priority of "Important" for Debian 8 (it would then no
longer be installed by default).

> Could it be that this is similar to the claim thet aptitude will replace
> apt-get while the desktop version of Ubuntu doesn't even install
> aptitude by default?

Apples and oranges... aptitude was the recommended tool for installing
packages in Debian 5 and Debian 6. It was also the recommended tool
for upgrading from Debian 5 to Debian 6. apt-get is now the
recommended tool for upgrading from Debian 6 to Debian 7; I don't know
which one's recommended for installing packages in Debian 7.

[1] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/net-tools