Software Updater UI in 13.04

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Fri Jun 14 16:32:17 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-14, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 14 June 2013 11:12, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
>> On 2013-06-13, Liam Proven wrote:

[automatic updates]

>>> It isn't Windows, you know. It only reboots when you tell it to.
>>
>> I know, but I've always been in the habit of scrupulously rebooting
>> fairly soon after it tells me to.  I thought that was a good thing to
>> do --- is it totally unnecessary?
>
> No, you're right, it /is/ a good idea. I suppose it depends on your
> usage pattern. My main machine is a desktop. I do not use suspend or
> hibernate; I shut it down every day when I am finished.
>
> On my laptops, I normally just put them to sleep (if they're
> frequently-used machines) or hibernation (if they're
> occasionally-used.) In those cases, when updates require a reboot, I
> shut them down when I'm finished for the day when I'd normally put 'em
> to sleep. There's generally no burning need to reboot /right then./

I leave my desktop running all the time because it's running some
lightweight server things & occasionally other jobs.  I have been
using my laptop all day with the little "restart" symbol in the
indicator bar, & nothing horrible has happened yet.  So maybe I've
always been a bit paranoid about rebooting when it tells me to.