Software Updater UI in 13.04

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 13:27:49 UTC 2013

On 14 June 2013 11:12, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
> On 2013-06-13, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> On 12 June 2013 19:41, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, I appreciate the reminder that there are updates available &
>>> the fact that they have already been downloaded when I log in (on my
>>> desktop, anyway).
>>
>> OK.
>>
>>> That is exactly what I don't like: the collapsed tree view by default
>>> & the lack of package names.
>>
>> You did notice the "technical information" link at the bottom, right?
>
> Yes, but (unless I missed something --- I'll check next time I see it)
> you have to expand the folders & then check the technical info for
> each package to find the real name.

Yes, that's right.

It's in line with the menu entries containing descriptions, e.g.
"image viewer". rather than program names ("eye of gnome") or binary
names (eog). I think it's more friendly this way, and a categorised
list is less overwhelming.

> I guess the answer for me is just
> to let the updater remind me to open a terminal & run aptitude.  ;-)

Well, yes. :¬) If you want to see the actual packages. FWIW I leave
this in my bash history and just recall and rerun it every day or so:

sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

Single command line, one password request.

>>> I do *not* want the machine installing updates & then potentially
>>> demanding a reboot!  If I see a kernel update available, I may decide
>>> I need to get some work done before messing around with it &
>>> rebooting.
>
> (I meant telling me when I next log in that I need to reboot it --- I
> know the upgrades won't trigger an automatic reboot.)

[Nod]

>> It isn't Windows, you know. It only reboots when you tell it to.
>
> I know, but I've always been in the habit of scrupulously rebooting
> fairly soon after it tells me to.  I thought that was a good thing to
> do --- is it totally unnecessary?

No, you're right, it /is/ a good idea. I suppose it depends on your
usage pattern. My main machine is a desktop. I do not use suspend or
hibernate; I shut it down every day when I am finished.

On my laptops, I normally just put them to sleep (if they're
frequently-used machines) or hibernation (if they're
occasionally-used.) In those cases, when updates require a reboot, I
shut them down when I'm finished for the day when I'd normally put 'em
to sleep. There's generally no burning need to reboot /right then./

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884