Software Updater UI in 13.04

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Jun 12 13:25:13 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-11, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 11 June 2013 13:24, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
>> After updating from 12.10 to 13.04, I see that the Update Manager has
>> been replaced by a Software Updater that shows a tree of updates with
>> verbose ("baby talk") descriptions.  Is there any hidden configuration
>> setting to bring back the flat list with package names shown
>> prominently?
>
> AFAIK, no.
>
> Choices: use apt-get in a shell, which is what I do. Or ignore it.
>
> Why - I'm genuinely curious - does it matter?

The Software Updater pops up automatically when I log in (if there are
updates), & the silly new display annoys me.  I guess I'll just close
it & run aptitude in a terminal then!

That reminds me: is there any advantage of aptitude over apt-get these
days?  ISTR there was a reason I switched to aptitude years ago, but I
can't quite remember what it was.