When Does NFS Get Enabled At Boot?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 18:43:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:

> On 13.04 I can mount NFS shares from the command line no problem, but if I
> try to do it at boot time from fstab, the system hangs and says it is
> waiting for idmapd and statd to start.

Try adding "_netdev" to the fstab options of the nfs mounts. They'll
be attempted after the network's up; and hopefully after rpc.idmapd is
started. (rpc.statd isn't used by/needed for nfs4.)

I'm using nfs and not nfs4 on Ubuntu but AFAIK there's an upstart job
to ensure that idmapd is started before an nfs4 mount is attempted.
You might want to file a bug report against this job if its "start on
..." statement isn't starting it when it's meant to.